All great art is a form of complaint. - John Cage


Most anarchists are gentle people.
-Anna Zilboorg

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Fooood!

(Me, pregnant.)

I just heard from the doctor today that I have high cholesterol (I thought, as always, that she was going to tell me I have cancer, so I am somewhat relieved).  I am now on the diet I have been meaning to go on for the last 3 years.

As timing would have it, I discovered an amazing cooking site:  Vanilla Bean Cuisine.  I am so, so excited that some one will cook virtually for me.  The Resident Chef at Vanilla Bean, Molly Pisula, was a high school classmate, so I asked her for a recipe that I could share with you.

Here's a quick mission statement from Molly:

My whole vision is around helping busy people, especially moms, cook good food, fast.  Here's one of my favorite soup recipes---perfect for the weather getting colder!

Spicy Black Bean Soup
2 T. olive oil
1 medium red onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 T. chopped jalapeno chili with seeds (less if you don't like it spicy)
1 T. ground cumin
1 t. chipotle chili powder
1 t. smoked paprika
1 15 oz can chopped tomatoes, or Rotel, drained
3 15 oz cans black beans (2 undrained, 1 drained and rinsed)
1.5 c. low-salt chicken broth
3 T. chopped fresh cilantro (and more for garnish if desired)
Kosher salt
Fresh ground pepper
garnishes: sour cream, tortilla chips, cubed avocado, cilantro

To prepare:
Heat oil in heavy pot over medium-high heat, then add onion, garlic, jalapeno, and spices. Saute until onion is tender (about 5 minutes), then add undrained beans, chicken broth, and chopped tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 15 minutes. Let soup cool slightly, then blend with immersion blender until almost smooth (or puree in regular blender). Return to pot and add the can of drained beans and chopped cilantro. Cook for another 5 minutes or so and season with salt and pepper. Serve with whatever garnish you prefer---I like sour cream and avocado chunks to kill some of the heat.

No comments: