All great art is a form of complaint. - John Cage


Most anarchists are gentle people.
-Anna Zilboorg

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Saturday Morning Round-Up

The farmer's markets do not open for another hour. Sam is running Neil's stand today so that Neil can go into the studio and paint and she stopped by early to collect the loot and Han the super-dog woke up the neighborhood.  And I stayed awake while Neil drifted gently back to wherever it is he goes when he dreams.  I looked surprisingly fresh-faced in the bathroom mirror, but I know that by noon I will be asleep on the couch waiting for the US Open to start.  Imagine the mental and physical stamina required to play the sport at that level.  I am slightly obsessed with the difference in size between Nadal's serving arm and his other run-of-the-mill-tennis-champion arm.  His serving arm is noticeably thicker and stronger than the other.  How does the difference affect his balance?  When he hugs you (heh-heh), can you feel his super hero arm? 

Speaking of super heroes, I am making one:


Ok, I'm at the ground level, but it has begun.  One of the greatest challenges to me in my practice is to put aside my idea of the finished project - to release myself from the closed circuit of my own brain.  To allow for outside influence.  Risky stuff. . .

Last month, I ordered these beautiful slatted stools from an artisan named Massimiliano who lives and works in a small town outside Florence:


Massimiliano has an etsy shop: chipsoffantasy.  You will need to register to access the vendors on etsy, but it's worth it.  You are probably already in the know, but just in case, here is etsy's mission statement: 

Our mission is to enable people to make a living making things, and to reconnect makers with buyers.
Our vision is to build a new economy and present a better choice:
 
Buy, Sell, and Live Handmade.

No comments: