All great art is a form of complaint. - John Cage


Most anarchists are gentle people.
-Anna Zilboorg

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Tussah, Soy and Hemp. . .Tussah, Soy and Hemp. . .


Late last night, I rediscovered these three small bags of non-wool fibers hidden in a yarn bag at the back of a lower shelf: Tussah silk, soy silk and hemp sliver.  I bought them 18 months ago because they looked cool and promised to reveal some new wonder.  I was primarily felting at the time, so I tried to incorporate them into the bowl designs; they looked fussy, as though I were TRYING.  (In high school I was openly aggressive towards friends' hippie leanings: weaving especially.  It was sooooo seventies.)  My hemp, soy and silk "felted" bowls looked like something the weavers would have made before smoking out and getting naked.

Now that I am starting to spin. . .oh, I cannot wait to make a corriedale/romney/silk yarn!  Calling all latter-day hippies now in their late thirties shopping at Ikea and Crate & Barrel and Williams-Sonoma!  I get it!

No comments: